On Wednesday, January 24, at 10 a.m. EST, the National Association of Realtors will release its data on existing home sales for December 2017. The NAR report tallies the number of previously built homes that sold during a given month. Since existing home sales account for a large percentage of overall home sales, the NAR report is an important snapshot of the state of the housing market at any given point.
In November 2017, existing home sales were up 5.6 percent month-over-month, spiking for the third month in a row and showing the strongest performance in almost 11 years. The West was the only national region that didn’t see a significant increase in existing home sales during November.
Here’s what else is scheduled for The Week Ahead:
- Chicago Federal Reserve Bank President Charles Evans to speak at Chicago Council of Global Affairs conference on "The Future of Monetary Policy: Embracing the Unconventional" in Chicago, Illinois, Tuesday, 6:30 p.m. EST
- MBA Mortgage Applications, Wednesday, 7 a.m. EST
- FHFA House Price Index, Wednesday, 9 a.m. EST
- Jobless Claims, Thursday, 8:30 a.m. EST
- Bloomberg Consumer Comfort Index, Thursday, 9:45 a.m. EST
- New Home Sales, Thursday, 10 a.m. EST
- Fed Balance Sheet, Thursday, 4:30 p.m. EST
- Gross Domestic Product, Friday, 8:30 a.m. EST