On Wednesday, June 16, the Harvard Joint Center for Housing Studies will examine the nation’s housing inequality issue in a live webcast at 3:00 p.m. CDT when they present “The State of the Nation's Housing 2021 Release: Soaring Home Prices, Tight Supply, and Millions Face Risk of Eviction or Foreclosure.”
The Harvard Joint Center for Housing Studies will report the latest findings in its analysis “The State of the Nation's Housing 2021.” Even as the nation’s economy is in recovery mode, the inequalities amplified by the pandemic remain front and center. Households that weathered the crisis without financial distress are snapping up the limited supply of homes for sale, pushing up prices and further excluding less affluent buyers from homeownership.
At the same time, millions of households that lost income are behind on their housing payments, nearing eviction or foreclosure, and a disproportionately large share of these at-risk households are those with low incomes and people of color.
Tracy Jan, Reporter from The Washington Post, will serve as moderator for a panel of experts to dissect these findings and offer their insight, including:
- Gary Acosta, Co-Founder & CEO of the National Association of Hispanic Real Estate Professionals (NAHREP)
- Clarence Anthony, CEO & Executive Director of the National League of Cities
- Chris Herbert, Managing Director of the Harvard Joint Center for Housing Studies
- Erika Poethig, Special Assistant to the President for Housing and Urban Policy, The White House Domestic Policy Council
Click here to register for the Harvard Joint Center for Housing Studies live webcast.
Here's what else is happening in The Week Ahead:
- MBA's Forbearance and Call Volume Survey (Monday)
- Senate Banking Committee Hearing: 21st Century Communities: Local Leaders on the Infrastructure Needs Facing America’s States, Cities, and Towns (Tuesday)
- MBA Weekly Applications Survey (Wednesday)
- House Subcommittee on Housing, Community Development and Insurance: Virtual Hearing-Flexible Federal Funding: Examining the Community Development Block Grant Program and Its Impact on Addressing Local Challenges (Wednesday)
- Realtor.com Weekly Housing Market Recap (Wednesday)
- NeighborWorks America Training Event-Stabilizing and Advancing Community: A National Convening on Equity-Based Revitalization (Thursday-Friday)
- Terner Center for Housing Innovation: The -Plex Paradox: Writing the Code to Undo Single-Family Zoning (Thursday)
- Senate Banking Committee: Reauthorization of the National Flood Insurance Program, Part II (Thursday)
- Freddie Mac Primary Mortgage Market Survey (Thursday)
- U.S. Department of Labor's Unemployment Insurance Weekly Claims Report (Thursday)
- Black Knight weekly forbearance data (Friday)