Home >> Daily Dose >> What’s Next After The Fed Cuts Interest Rates?
Print This Post Print This Post

What’s Next After The Fed Cuts Interest Rates?

For the third time in 2019 the Federal Reserve slashes interest rates, dropping its benchmark lending rate Wednesday by another quarter of a point. 

The Fed released a statement saying it has lowered the target range for Federal funds rate to 1.5% to 1.75%.

Doug Duncan, Chief Economist with Fannie Mae, said the Fed cited "implications of global developments" as rationale for the cut.

Although the Fed has lowered rates to spur economic growth, Jarred Kessler, CEO of EasyKnock, said that plans doesn't always work out.

"Lowering rates doesn’t always have the economic impact we think, or expect it to have because it disrupts the natural economic ecosystem," Kessler said. "Just look at Japan, it can drive housing growth and a push in the stock market, but other facets of the economy are bound to lose. In the longer term this along with inflation can have a very negative impact."

Kessler, however, added the continual slashing of interest rates will help drive mortgage rates lower. He also said rental rates could also fall with the most recent cut.

Duncan noted that market expectations are to be biased toward no further cuts, Fannie Mae is forecasting an additional cut in January based on trade uncertainties and other global risks.

George Ratio, Senior Economist at realtor.com, however, said the Fed was unclear about next steps, and the outlook remains cautions, evident by dissenting votes at the meeting.

A report by NBC News leading up the cut said there was a 94% probability of a quarter-point rate cut, with just a 6% chance of no change.

NBC further stated that easing of trade tensions with China is working in the Fed’s favor.  

The Fed’s last rate cut came on September 18 when it dropped its benchmark lending rate to 1.75% to 2%. Interest rates were cut for the first time in a decade on July 31. 

About Author: Mike Albanese

A graduate of the University of Alabama, Mike Albanese has worked for news publications since 2011 in Texas and Colorado. He has built a portfolio of more than 1,000 articles, covering city government, police and crime, business, sports, and is experienced in crafting engaging features and enterprise pieces. He spent time as the sports editor for the "Pilot Point Post-Signal," and has covered the DFW Metroplex for several years. He has also assisted with sports coverage and editing duties with the "Dallas Morning News" and "Denton Record-Chronicle" over the past several years.
x

Check Also

Many Americans Don’t Know About Much-Needed Mortgage Relief Programs

A large number of Americans suffering economic difficulties aren't even aware that help is available. This holds even more true for lower-income households. 

GET THE NEWS YOU NEED, WHEN YOU NEED IT.

With daily content from MReport, you’ll never miss another important headline in originations, lending, or servicing. Subscribe to MDaily to begin receiving a complimentary daily email containing the top mortgage news and market information.